Wednesday, April 14, 2010

What DM could learn from DRTV

I was feeling a little under the weather this past weekend, and so I spent some time on the couch watching TV. If you have turned on the television recently on a Saturday or Sunday you know there is an endless number of DRTV programs available to you. Having come from the DRTV world, I was happy to have the opportunity to see what new shows were on the air, and what existing shows were still running (and hopefully indicates are still working). As I watched a few different shows it struck me that there is one thing that DRTV does REALLY well, and that is tell stories.

Every week I receive DM pieces from various non-profits throughout North America, and the vast majority are short letters, telling me how wonderful they are, and usually containing a very organizationally focused ask. Rarely do charities tell me a story about an individual who needs my help...the real reason that I would choose to give to that organization.

I know TV has the benefit of being able to show pretty pictures and really give the viewer a look at that persons life, but the stories they tell can almost always translate onto paper.

When you write your next DM appeal, PLEASE tell a story, because at the end of the day, people give to people. Its not about you - its about the lives you are impacting.

No comments:

Post a Comment