Monday, February 4, 2013

Coffee and inspiration

It's been a long time - two and a half years in fact - since I last wrote on this blog. And a LOT has happened in my life. I've become a mum, to a beautiful little girl who is the love of my life. She and I have moved around the world and for almost two years have called Sydney Australia home. I've continued working with Pareto and had the opportunity to partner with some amazing charities in Australia, New Zealand and even Hong Kong. Life has been good to me, and I am so grateful.

Lately though, I realize I've lost some of my fire. The chaos of life, a heavy workload and the changes in the definition of roles have taken a toll on me and lately I realize i have allowed myself to become a project manager, instead of a fundraiser. Project management is a very important part of what I do, but it isn't what gets me out of bed in the morning. It doesn't excite me or challenge me. It should be a function of my role, rather than the definition of my role.

I had coffee with a dear friend on the weekend and as we talked about the charities we were privileged to work with, ideas we had to help grow their causes and the amazing work we could partner with them in doing I felt like a spark went off and the fire was ignited again. I love what I do. Really love it. I get to make a difference in the world every day. That is an amazing opportunity but also a big responsibility. I am a fundraiser. And I have so much to learn. And I can't wait to learn it. I've decided to start writing again as a place to think out loud, to share ideas and hopefully, to engage in conversation with other fundraisers...with you.

I'm so thankful for my friends, colleagues and partners who inspire me everyday and I hope I can share with you some of that inspiration.

No comments:

Post a Comment