Sunday, February 17, 2013

I love you.


Valentines day was just a few days ago and it got me thinking all about LOVE.

I have to say - I love donors.  They are LOVELY people who donate their hard earned money to charities they believe in. Hopefully charities they are passionate about.  It's an amazing thing when you think about it... most of them could probably find other things to do with that money quite easily, but instead, they are trusting someone else to use their money wisely to feed the hungry, clothe the poor, find a cure for cancer, take care of sick kids, protect our wildlife, conserve our land, or some other equally important cause.

I've been thinking a lot about how we thank donors for these gifts.  Do we just send them the obligatory, generic thank you note - like the one your mother used to make you send your grandmother at Christmas even though you didn't really want too - or do we really show them the love.

Lately I've seen a couple of really good demonstrations of love from charities to their donors.  The first is a video done by one of my favourite organizations, Charity Water.  It's impossible NOT to love everything they do.  They created this valentine for their donors - a powerful way to recognize their support. Check it out here.

Another organization I support is Operation Smile here in Australia.  I have to say, as a monthly donor, they not only make me feel loved, they make me feel like a valuable part of their work. Every month they send me my tax receipt - in a handwritten card.  Yes, a handwritten card, every month. They are signed by Norma... I'm not sure what her role is there... she could be a fundraising manager, a monthly giving program manager or a volunteer.  It doesn't really matter. All that matters is she is a real person who is taking the time to write me a letter.  The cards are short - they always thank me for my continued support and they always tell me about a recent medical mission they have taken or one they are about to take and they always make me feel like I am a part of it.  I look forward to hearing from them every month and even though they have yet to ask, these cards make me want to give more.


These are not the only examples of good donor care I have received.  Just recently Wesley Mission Brisbane sent me a personal Christmas card which went up on the wall with the ones we received from friends and family.  But these extraordinary examples of donor care are hard to come by - and I'm not sure why.  Please, please, please find a way to show your donors how much you love them.  This may differ for your $5 donors to your major donors to your monthly givers.  But for some reason these people have entrusted you with their gift and its so important to recognize that.

And perhaps - if we spent a bit more time really engaging our supporters, we could spend a bit less time searching for so many new ones.

No comments:

Post a Comment