Wednesday, June 10, 2009

The Orphan Diet

I have to thank Bryna at Streams of Hope for making me aware of this project. The "Orphan Diet" campaign is being run by an organization out of Hamilton ON called Absolute Leadership.

This grass roots fundraising effort is the second part of a a campaign in support of an orphanage in Port-au-Prince, Haiti where 68 children are in desperate need. The focus is simple - raising money to provide these children with medical attention (many of them have never seen a doctor), school supplies and food as well as providing some much needed renovations to their facilities. To raise the funds needed to do this, the organization is encouraging people to give up a meal, or a day of meals in June and to give the money they would spend on food to their cause. There message is on youtube and is being spread through twitter and facebook.

I actually love the simplicity of this video because it is believable. The video is authentic and the message is clear. Sure, the professional fundraiser in me wants to tighten the video, script the copy and capture a wider variety of shots - but this video is real and lends itself well to its target audience. Oh, and this video does something that so many non-profits fail to do...it tells me how the organization spent the funds raised during the first half of the campaign. I know that my money helped provide food, purchase school supplies, build beds and pay the rent. Seeing those children carry bags of food into their facility is enough to make me willing to support the campaign again.

I encourage you to take 6 minutes to watch the video and let me know what you think. And hey, if it moves you, why not make a donation. I know I found 68 good reasons to give.



No comments:

Post a Comment